PuTTY Connection Manager: PuTTyCM or a PuTTy Connection Manager is a tool that helps you to manage PuTTy sessions. For the erudite, PuTTy should be obvious . It is a Windows client that allows you to manage a remote connection in a UNIX machine connected in a network. However I shall rant about it for a few lines for the readers who have simply stumbled on my post.
- 1 What is PuTTy? PuTTY Connection Manager
- 1.1 PuTTyCM (CONNECTION MANAGER)
- 1.2 1.Display Multiple PuTTy Sessions in Tab:
- 1.3 2.Multi task for PuTTy Sessions:
- 1.4 3.Multiple Command Sender:
- 1.5 4.To create an Encrypted Configuration Database:
- 1.6 5.Automatic PuTTY Session Login
- 1.7 Feature 6: PuTTY Session Post-Login Commands
What is PuTTy? PuTTY Connection Manager
The PuTTy tool allows a Windows console to establish a secured remote connection with an Unix machine connected in the same network. This Windows software works on a range of protocols such as TCP/IP,TELNET,SSH etc. These protocols are the backbone of any remote connection and file transfer services.
Moreover, PuTTy displays the front end session of the UNIX terminal to the user on a Windows machine. PuTTy prompts you to login and access the UNIX machine and displays a dialogue box where the commands are typed. The commands entered within the text box are sent to the UNIX machine. The packets sent are secured using SSH socket. Hope that erases the fog over PuTTy !
PuTTyCM (CONNECTION MANAGER)
The PuTTyCM displays multiple sessions by using tabs. This allows you to handle different PuTTy sessions at the same time. PuTTyCM is a C# product. You shall need .NET to run it.Also, specify the location of the PuTTy executable.
Now let me exhibit 6 powerful features of PuTTyCM:
- Display Multiple PuTTY Sessions in Tab
- Multi Window for PuTTY Sessions
- Multi Command Sender (MCS)
- Encrypted PuTTY Configuration Database
- Automatic PuTTY Session Login
- PuTTY Session Post-Login Commands
You May Also Like To Read Other Articles
- How to Jailbreak Your iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch with JailbreakMe
- How To Download TaiG jailbreak iOS 9.x
- DNS Server Not Responding Error Fixed For Windows
- PuTTY Connection Manager (PuTTyCM)
- Resource limits on UNIX systems (ulimit)
1.Display Multiple PuTTy Sessions in Tab:
This is one of the most robust and useful features of PuTTyCM. It is widely acknowledged and an useful addition to handle PuTTy sessions. While handling multiple PuTTy sessions you may fell the need to accomodate more sessions using tabs. This may slow down the PuTTy session . To stay immujne to this trouble Go to Tools -> Options -> Select the check-box “Enable additional timing for PuTTY capture (ms)” -> set the value to >=500 ms.
2.Multi task for PuTTy Sessions:
This another time-saving feature provided by PuTTyCM. Two or more tabs can be arranged within a windows screen so that multiple tasks can be handled at the same time using the old school split window method. To do this simply click on the tab and hold it till you get a panel(plus) symbol. Once you do that click on the button of your desire to place the tab. The bottom button places the window in the bottom panel. This movement of the window to the bottom panel is indicated by a rectangular transparent box that occurs at the bottom once you click on the bottom button.
3.Multiple Command Sender:
This feature enables the use of a single command over a various servers that are running at present. This feature is a system admin’s friend as it saves him a lot of time.
To use this feature,create a multi task view as described above. Once you do that click on the icon left to the command text bat. A drop down list appears listing the servers in place. Select the servers you want to run the same command. Now move over to the command text box and type the command you desire. And your command is fired to all the servers.
4.To create an Encrypted Configuration Database:
Your PuTTy sessions are usually stored in the windows registry. However they can be encrypted using the database encryption feature in PuTTyCM. The procedure is pretty straightforward.
- Download the algorithms needed for encryption from here.
- Place them in C:\Program Files\PuTTY Connection Manager
- Restart the program and go to Tools->Menu->Options->Database. Under the encryption section you can a set of algorithms like below.
This indicates that the algorithms are successfully installed in your system and is recognized by the PuTTyCM program.
- Now click on File->New->Database and follow the steps below.
Database Name: putty-secure-sessions
- Check Enable database encryption check-box
- Select “AES Rinjdael Managed 256 bits”
- Choose a strong paraphrase for the process.
- Click on ‘Create database’ to create the database.
- Click on File menu -> save database to save the database to a physical file.
- Now the ‘putty-secure-sessions’ database will be displayed under the Connection manager as shown below.
- Right mouse-click on the ‘putty-secure-sessions’ database name -> Click on New -> Click on Connection, to create a new secure PuTTY session.
5.Automatic PuTTY Session Login
- From the putty-secure-sessions database, select a particular PuTTY session, right-click and select Configuration, check the ‘Enable Macro’ check-box as shown below.
- Click on the ‘Login Macro’ from the left-side menu on the same window and enter the uid/pwd as shown below.
Now, when you double-click on that particular PuTTY session, it will log you in automatically using the credentials you’ve provided.