VMware Workstation is the most popular Virtualization software used at the desktop level on Linux like operating systems and Microsoft Windows. It allows the us to create and run multiple Virtual machines simultaneously. VMware Workstation Player (formerly known as Player Pro) is a streamlined desktop visualization application that runs one or more Guest operating systems on the same computer without rebooting & disturbing host OS.
[myinlink sub=”How to Install and Configure CakePHP on an Ubuntu Server or Cloud” link=”http://devsgeek.us/install-and-configure-cakephp-on-an-ubuntu-server-or-cloud/”]Install and Configure CakePHP on an Ubuntu Server or Cloud[/myinlink]
The GUI is very simple & powerful even non-techy user can easily creating, running and evaluating operating systems and applications on the Guest Machine. Download VMware Workstation is not an open source or free software so we need to buy its VMware licensing key, though we can use its trail version for 30 days then later you can apply its license key and VMware Workstation Player Free for Personal Use. If you simply want to learn more about virtual machines with different distribution at home in a non-commercial environment you may use Workstation Player at FREE of cost.
Workstation Player supports hundreds of guest operating systems old and new so you can continue to run the applications you need in a virtual machine for as long as you want.
- 1 Follow the below steps Install VMware Workstation 12 on Linux Mint 18 & Ubuntu 16.04
- 1.1 [myinlink sub=”How To Install Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP LAMP stack On CentOS 6,7″ link=”http://devsgeek.us/install-linux-apache-mysql-php-lamp-stack-centos-67/”]Install Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP LAMP stack On CentOS 6,7[/myinlink]
- 1.2 Remove / Uninstall VMware Workstation
Follow the below steps Install VMware Workstation 12 on Linux Mint 18 & Ubuntu 16.04
[myinlink sub=”How to Install and Configure Cobbler on CentOS 7.x” link=”http://devsgeek.us/install-and-configure-cobbler-on-centos-7-x/”]Install and Configure Cobbler on CentOS 7.x[/myinlink]
1) Prerequisites To Install VMware Workstation 12 on Linux Mint 18 & Ubuntu 16.04
Install Prerequisites packages based on your distribution before proceeding VMware Workstation Player installation.
$ sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r)
[RHEL/CentOS & Upto Fedora 21]
$ sudo yum install kernel-headers kernel-devel
$ sudo yum groupinstall "Development tools"
[Fedora 22 & later]
$ sudo dnf install kernel-headers kernel-devel
$ sudo dnf groupinstall 'Development Tools'
2) Download & Install VMware Workstation Player
Visit the VMware Workstation Player download page and Access the following url from your web browser to download trail version of Vmware Workstation 12 on your system. Dont forget to download the latest version of VMware Workstation Player bundle and give the
executable permission on it.
Set Executable Permission]
$ sudo chmod +x VMware-Player-12.1.1-3770994.x86_64.bundle
[Run the File]
$ sudo ./VMware-Player-12.1.1-3770994.x86_64.bundle
After running VMware Workstation Player bundle, you will get the below screen shot. Select accept the license agreement radio button then hit
[myinlink sub=”How to Install VMware Workstation 12 on Linux Mint 18 & Ubuntu 16.04″ link=”http://devsgeek.us/install-vmware-workstation-12-on-linux-mint-18-ubuntu-16-04/”]Install VMware Workstation 12 on Linux Mint 18 & Ubuntu 16.04[/myinlink]
Yesto Check for product update whenever VMware launch.
Noto avoid sending statistics report to VMware or select either Yes or No depending upon your choice.
- Leave as Empty for Non-commercial Use.
- Initial configuration is over and ready for installation, hit
Installbutton to initiate the VMware Workstation Player installation, Installation under process & Installation got successful, Enter the valid email id, then hit
3) Access and start using VMware Workstation 12
- Click on VMware Workstation icon
- As we are using trail version of VMware workstation so select the second option and in case you have license key then select the first option.
4) Install Open VM Tools in the Virtual Machine.
In my case i have created Debian based virtual machine (Linux Mint 18)
Login to the machine and open the terminal and type beneath command to install open vm tools.
sudo apt install open-vm-tools
Remove / Uninstall VMware Workstation
Type the beneath command to remove or uninstall VMware Workstation completely from your system
sudo vmware-installer -u vmware-workstation
- Select ‘No’ option and click on Next..
- Uninstalling of VMware Workstation 12 is in progress.