Disk Defragmenter and Optimize your hard drive in windows 8 : With the advent of Windows 8 some were baffled with the changes made to various options. Previously put as the simple “Windows Anytime Upgrade” is now more coolly and complexly proclaimed as “Add Features to Windows 8”. Since the PC guys haven’t bought a game changing OS so may have resorted to a name changing approach. Bad joke!
The same was applied to disk fragmentation aka Optimize drives in Windows 8. The disk defragmentation is a useful to optimize or defragment your drive. This shall increase the speed of your PC.
How and When to Defragment Your Hard Drive in Windows 8, Why defrag in windows Computer ?
Defrag or defragging or defragmentation is the process by which files in a disk that are split into various fragments are joint together in a sequential manner. While fragmentation the content of a file is split inconsistently across the hard disk. Defragmenting arranges the mutilated files into correct consistent order, thus providing quick access to the files across the disk.
Microsoft provides you with a robust tool to defrag your drives. The tool is simple yet powerful; it offers options to schedule the defragging of your drives. To defrag your drives follow the steps listed below:
- Open the charms bar. This can be accessed by pressing the windows key and then by the clicking search button.
2)Type Optimize drives in the search bar. You can also type defrag and find the option cropping up.
3) Once you click the “Defragment and optimize” option you shall find the following dialog box that displays the drives and the status of fragmentatio.
4)Click on the Optimize button to manually initiate the defrag process. An otherwise automatically scheduled manual optimization will begin to take place.
5) Clicking the Analyse button quickly updates the percent fragmented value.
6) Click on change settings to change the scheduled time for optimization.
- Remove the tick mark from the Run on schedule option to flag automatic optimization of your drives.
- Leave it checked to allow your drives to be automatically defragged over your preferred frequency.
- Finally, the Choose button lets you choose the drives that need automatic defragging. You can specify the list of drives that have to be automatically optimized.
When to and not to Disk Defragmenter windows ?
There is no if else condition to determine when to defragment and not. Automatic scheduling of defragging is recommended. Fragmentation no longer slows down your computer owing to various performance tweaks by the OS giant over time.
- However defragging is recommended so that your computer may be optimized a tad more than usual.
- If your computer’s memory is powered by powerful SSDs then there requires no need for defragging. Solid state drives do not make use of disks to store data.
- Hence there occurs no need for defragging. Disks store data starting from one end to another. Fragmenting drives and files shall jumble your file’s contents making an inconsistent arrangement of the files on the disk.
Optimize Drives in Windows 8 or Disk Defragmenter in Windows 7 should be run any time your fragmentation is at ten percent or higher. This will improve the overall performance and functionality of your PC. This is one of the hidden tools of Windows systems that many users neglect to take advantage of. Run Optimize Drives or Disk Defragmenter yourself to see what an improvement it makes.
Defragging sorts the files into a sequential order allowing fast retrieval of data. That is all about defragging. Optimize your drives and put them to good use.